Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Lacking Trepidation

Last week, I took the kids to Barnes and Noble.  It's one of our favorite places.  Sam usually plays with the train set while I read Annie princess book after princess book.  While there, Sam dropped his sippy cup by one of the book shelves.  I could see it from where I was but was too lazy to get up and grab it.  I figured by the time I finished the current princess book I was reading to Annie and got up to grab yet another, I could then seize the fallen sippy.
While sitting on the floor reading to Annie, one of the B&N workers walked by picking up books to put back on the shelves.  I looked up and told her, "Oh, don't worry about putting ours up.  I can do it!"  She didn't say a word.  I started to repeat myself, only to be interrupted by her, "I can do it".
A little while later, I got up to grab Sam's sippy cup.  It was gone!  I looked everywhere for that thing.  I finally went to the lady who was now at the desk.  I said, "I seemed to have lost a sippy cup.  Did you by chance pick it up?"  The lady looked at me and, without saying a word, reached down into the trash can beside her and pulled out the sippy.  Shocked that she threw it away, I said, "Oh, do you not have a lost and found?"  She said,"Yes we do but this cup has liquids in it".  Umm, ok.
We left Barnes & Noble and the more I thought about that lady, the angrier I got.  Annie could tell I was not happy so she asked, "What's wrong, Mommy?"  "Mommy's just frustrated with that mean lady".  End of story.
Today, we went back to Barnes & Noble, did our usual routine of trains and princess books, and headed to the stage so the kids could play.  As Annie rounded the book shelf, she ran into the lady.  "Mommy!  There's that mean lady!"  I was mortified.  Leaning down and lowering my voice, I whispered, "Annie, please be quiet!"  She whispered back, "ok".  I thought I was in the clear.  Unfortunately, Annie turned around, saw the lady next to her, and instantly forgot my bidding.  Pointing, "But MOMMY!  There's that really mean lady!  There she is!!"
Jeepers...

No comments:

Post a Comment